While studying abroad in London this semester, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing numerous shows at the West End. Whether you’re a theatre lover or simply looking to experience one of London’s most iconic cultural attractions, catching a show in the West End is something I recommend to everyone studying, working, or vacationing in London. However, with ticket prices sometimes reaching astronomical heights, it can be daunting to figure out how to find affordable tickets. Fear not, because I’ve compiled a few tips to help you score the best deals on West End tickets like a pro:
1. Check out discount ticket booths: In Leicester Square (right next to the incredible National Gallery), you’ll find several discount ticket booths where you can purchase same-day tickets at discounted prices. These booths offer tickets for both matinee and evening shows, with discounts ranging from 20% to 50% off the original ticket price. Just be sure to arrive early, as the lines can get pretty long!
2. Look for online deals: The internet is your friend when it comes to finding deals on West End tickets. Websites like TodayTix, LoveTheatre, and West End Theatre Bookings offer discounted tickets for a variety of shows, and you can often find last-minute deals for shows that still have unsold tickets. You can also sign up for email newsletters from these websites to be notified of special deals and promotions.
3. Take advantage of student discounts: As a student, you’re entitled to discounts on many West End shows. Some theatres offer student rush tickets, which are available to purchase at the box office on the day of the performance. You can also check with your university or student union to see if they offer any discounts or special deals for West End shows.
4. Attending previews or off-peak performances: Preview performances are usually offered at a discounted rate, and they’re a great way to see a show before it officially opens. Off-peak performances, such as weekday matinees or evening shows, can also be cheaper than weekend performances.
5. Check with the theatres directly: Sometimes, the best deals can be found by contacting the theatres directly. You can check their websites or call their box offices to ask about special promotions, discounts, or last-minute deals.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to snagging affordable tickets to some of the most popular shows in London’s West End! By taking the advice I’ve just given you, I have been able to see highly-rated shows like The Book of Mormon, The Lion King, and Wicked at the West End without ever having to break the bank. Happy theatre-going and let me know your favorite play you’ve gotten to see!